Baroque Blog

 


I chose the Bacchus piece by Caravaggio. In this piece it shows a young man, who is posed in a  very seductive way in this almost sensual art piece. This inspires awe because of the way he is sitting and his props near him, after doing a bit of research on this painting Bacchus is the god of wine. You see him in this painting and it is very poetic in the way he looks almost dazed and confused with his glass of wine. He seems like he is inviting you into his space, but still has that sense of spite that he is not afraid to show to people. I would not be opposed to owning an art piece like this, I think it is unique and engaging, drawing the viewers eyes to it wanting to know what is going on within the painting. 


Source: Jones, Christopher P. “How to Read Paintings: Caravaggio's Bacchus.” Medium, Medium, 21 May 2019, christopherpjones.medium.com/how-to-read-paintings-caravaggios-bacchus-470f677d5cba. 


Comments

  1. When I originally looked at this piece at first I didn't realize it was of a man. Even though art during the Renaissance and Baroque era show the male and female form, this was the first painting I saw that portrays the subject in such an intimate way for being a young man. Like a lot of Renaissance and Baroque art, I am not a fan of such busy backgrounds so I like how Caravaggio used a more solid background. I also liked how he used a lit of heavy black as well as the darker background because I feel like it helped bring your focus immediately to the center of the painting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Preferences and Perspectives - The Romantic Era